Inside You’ll Find:
- 52 delicious and healthful seasonal recipes to help guide you through winter, spring, summer and fall
- A comprehensive, doctor-designed approach to weight loss that works
- Practical diet suggestions for every major US holiday
- Behavioral strategies and exercises to keep you on track year round
- A calorie blasting, total body conditioning build your own workout section
1. Place strawberries in a small microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and toss. Microwave until slightly bubbling, about 45 seconds. Remove from microwave and set aside. In a small bowl, scramble egg and egg white together.
2. Top 1 slice bread with 1 tablespoon of strawberry mixture. Reserve remaining mixture. Press remaining slice of bread firmly on top of bottom piece to make a sandwich.
3. Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
4. Dip French toast into egg mixture, coating both sides thoroughly. Place in skillet and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until golden brown, turning halfway.
5. Remove from skillet and top with remaining strawberry sauce.
Nutrition stats: 296 calories, 16g protein, 38g carbs, 6g fiber, 11g fat (4g sat)
½ cup sliced strawberries
½ teaspoon sugar
1 large egg
1 egg white
2 slices whole-wheat bread
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
Seared Scallop Nectarine Salad
- Season scallops with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add scallops and cook for 3 minutes, turning halfway. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together remaining olive oil, orange juice, mustard and honey.
- In a large bowl, toss lettuce and nectarine with dressing. Divide between 2 plates. Top each with 6 scallops.
Nutrition Stats: 239 calories, 14g protein, 25g carbs, 4g fiber, 11g fat (2g sat)
12 sea scallops
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon honey
6 cups butter lettuce
2 nectarines, sliced
1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
+ 6 ounces plain nonfat Greek yogurt
+ ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
+ 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed (I recommend Barlean’s 100% Organic Forti-Flax
+ ½ tsp. cinnamon
+ 1 tsp. sugar
+ ice to desired thickness
Nutrition Stats: 256 cals, 4.5 g fiber, 19 g protein
Winter Lunch or Dinner
White Bean Vegetable Soup
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Add Canadian bacon, onion, carrot and fennel and season with salt and pepper. Sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 additional minute. Add chicken broth, beans, tomatoes, rosemary and red pepper flakes. Bring to a low boil and lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add Parmesan cheese and mix well.
Nutrition stats: 371 calories, 22g protein, 51g carbs, 13g fiber, 10g fat (2g sat)
2 teaspoons olive oil
1-ounce slice Canadian bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 cup chopped onion
1 carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
¼ fennel bulb, cut into 1/4-inch dice
¼ teaspoon salt
Large pinch pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
15.5-ounce can no salt added cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped canned tomatoes
½ teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese